Posted on March 03 2011
Of the four operations that we own and operate, Alaska West is probably the best-known. Even so, we’re often surprised at what some anglers don’t know about our little slice of heaven in Western Alaska.
So, today we present you with…
5 Things You Might Not Know About Alaska West
- It’s a non-stop flight from Anchorage. We charter a DASH-8 for the flight direct from Anchorage to the Quinhagak airstrip, where you’re met by our crew and taken on a 15 minute boat ride to our camp. We’re out in the middle of nowhere, but it’s easy-breezy access.
- We offer private water in Alaska. Through our joint venture with the native corporation based in Quinhagak that owns essentially the whole Arolik drainage, we fish the only 3 jet boats each day on the incredible Arolik River. It’s Alaska like it was 100 years ago…and it’s all ours.
- We host all kinds of guests. First-time anglers love salmon in late July. Spey heads chase bright kings in June. Trout junkies mouse all season long. Kids from 10 to 94 have joined us in the last few years. Business folks entertain their best clients at our place. Yes it’s a cliche, but we’ve got something for everyone.
- We fish every day. We’re located right smack on top of the best water on the amazing Kanektok River. We don’t need to fly out, and our river is amazingly prone to stay in good shape. Even this past summer – one of the wettest on record – our guests fished every day of the season, and caught fish every day of the season. There are no ‘no fly’ days at Alaska West.
- We include darned near everything. Loaner rods, all the flies you need, leaders, wading boots, waders, fresh fish packing, guest spey instruction during our king season, even Global Rescue emergency medical services – they’re all included in the price of a trip with us.
We left out the part about the most productive, consistent fishery we’ve ever even heard of, but we can tell you more about that if you just drop us a line.