Posted on April 29 2015
Today we’re coming at you with a variation of what we think is one of the most versatile salmon/steelhead patterns of all time, Larimer’s reverse marabou tube fly.
Popularized by steelhead guide, Tom Larimer, the reverse marabou tube fly is literally tied backwards. This allows the fibers to fight against the current creating a larger profile with minimal materials. Don’t take our word for it however, check out a great video on the advantages of the reverse marabou tube, here!
The version shown below is a bit different than the original pattern, but one we’ve found makes for an extremely effective fly that is not only inexpensive but extremely quick to tie. Plus, it can be tied in basically any color combination possible. Essentially everything we want in a steelhead or salmon fly. We tie them by the dozen and would recommend you do too.
- Tube: HMH Large Poly Tube – Orange
- Thread: UTC 140 – Flame Orange
- Wing: Blue Blood Quill Marabou over Black Blood Quill Marabou
- Dubbing Ball: UV Polar Chenille – Pearl
- Flash: Black and Dark Blue Flashabou
- Collar: Black Schlappen
- Head: Large (1/4″) Hareline Tube Cone Head – Fluorescent Orange