Posted on December 02 2015
- From their biology to their beauty, wild fish hold a special place in the ecosystem and in our imaginations. Biologist Ray J. White writes about “Why Wild Fish Matter” in an article published in TROUT magazine in 1992, with points just as relevant today. Via The Native Fish Lab.
- Results from a 15-year study of Eastern brook trout show high summer air temperatures and a warming climate are primary factors affecting population levels. The study was published recently in the journal Global Change Biology. Via Phys.org.
- Several “marine national monuments” have been proposed in the Atlantic Ocean, a designation that would possibly prohibit commercial and recreational fishing. Read more via The Fishing Wire.
- After the FDA approved the sale of genetically modified salmon, retailers including Costco, Kroger, Target, Trader Joe’s, Safeway, and Whole Foods have stated their refusal to sell the product. Via Field & Stream.
- A tanker truck holding 4,500 gallons of oil ruptured and spilled some of its contents into the Provo River in Utah. Utah Highway Patrol reported that a possible 1,000 gallons of oil spilled into the river. Via KSL.